The Tebbs family name crops up regularly in the history of Countesthorpe. There is tombstone in St Andrews church to Elizabeth Tebbs aged 32 who died in 1781. In 1841 Farmer John Tebbs was allocated a box pew in the church. A plaque in the church is dedicated to him and his wife Francis. He took over the post of churchwarden from his brother William in 1841. Richard Tebbs their father (?) was ‘suddenly called’ when he was 86 and lies in the churchyard having died in 1836. It was Richard who built the splendid Beeches Farmhouse in 1751 that stands in Green Lane. On the north wall, above the door are the initials of the family put there when the original building was extended.
Long before The Midland or Alliance & Leicester Bank had an office there The Bank was established in Countesthorpe. The term appears in lots of villages (there are eight in Leicestershire alone) and is derived from a steep slope to keep the cattle from straying out of the pasture and into the street. Perhaps the forerunner of the ‘ ha ha’ made famous by Capability Brown in many a stately home across the country.The Chestnuts
One of the tree names used in the 1968 Bruce Fletcher estate, but the nearest conker is round the corner in Gwendoline Drive by the Primary School.The Coppice
A woodland name for the group of bungalows off Walnut Way to go with the tree names on the 1968 Bruce Fletcher estate.The Dales
The name is taken from a natural drainage channel, which runs north south from Blaby, and crosses Station Road almost opposite Waterloo Crescent and continues on past the bottom of the allotment field towards Willoughby. The Drive
The Drive running from Cosby Road to the houses that were The Countesthorpe Cottage Homes built as an alternative to the Workhouse by the Guardians of the Poor of Leicester in 1884.
Further Reading: The Countesthorpe Cottage Homes, a World Apart. Karen Saunders et al Available from County Record Office Wigston.The Elms
One of the tree names used in the 1968 Bruce Fletcher estate.The Hawthorns
Another of the tree names used in the 1968 Bruce Fletcher estate.
A charming secluded cul de sac off Cosby Road. A colourful picture in the summer months when the street is awash with colourful bedding plants. The Dictionary definition is "A field covered with grass or herbage and suitable for grazing by livestock".
The occasional puppy dog can be seen but no livestock grazing any longer.The Plantation
The Plantation was built on a field of the same name behind the houses on Station Road. The Little Plantation is the name given to the jitty, which runs from Station Road to the Plantation.
Formerly The Hall Close and part of the estate of number 5 Main Street.
In 1851 it was purchased by Christopher Bassett and added to his estate and fronted Linden House in what was then Hall Lane, now Station Road. Many years later The Paddock was given to Blaby Rural District Council.
In 2017 Countesthorpe Parish Council announced on their web site.
“The Parish Council have agreed to rename the area currently known as the Paddock once they have taken over ownership from Blaby District Council. The Paddock will be renamed the Centenary Paddock to mark the 100 years since the end of first world war. The council intend to install two new benches depicting first world war scenes and a flag pole with the Union Jack permanently flying to enhance the area. Once the council have taken over the Centenary Paddock it will always remain an area for recreation and remembrance.”
One of the tree names used in the 1968 Bruce Fletcher estate.
Not a street name as such but a playground for youngsters. The name dates back to the building of the railway through Countesthorpe in 1840. Properly called The Woodlands.The Square
Most people would assume this to be the oldest part and centre of the village, but although certainly the centre and certainly old the name is relatively new. The name probably grew out of the confusion of Cox’s Lane, Church Lane, Jackson’s Lane and Green Lane. Mr Glazebrook the Postmaster and hosier living in Main Street who employed 28 men and 5 boys in 1851 must have found it difficult to sort it all out. In the census of 1851 the Square did not exist. By 1861 The King William the Fourth Hotel was in Central Square. As was the exotic Ulysses J Burke from Ireland who was ‘surgeon sixty years in this parish’. He and his manservant William Keen, who also spent time as the Village crier, were now to be addressed at Central Square. By the 1871 census it had changed again to the name we are now all familiar with, The Square.
Named after a market garden in 1840, on the land now housing Cherry Trees old folks home. Actually built on land that formerly housed Goulds Knitwear Factory, which gave employment to many village folk.